Kentucky, Louisville Mission

Monday, April 20, 2015

Week 55

So I've talked to mom about this a little already but I have a few problems haha so Friday night after a long day of biking in the rain I got back to the apartment and decided to eat some left over Easter candy and as I was doing so I felt something that was a lot harder than the candy in my mouth, and I decided to learn from the experience I had with my retainer and not swallow haha turns out it was the crown of my tooth! so I just put the crown back in my mouth and bit down so its back into place but I decided I should probably get it checked out! so after a lot of phone calls my ward mission leaders wife set up an appointment for me in Frankfort at 1115 on Monday so we found a member who could drive us to Frankfort and we got there this morning to find out that my dental insurance only works in Utah apparently, so after several more phone calls we got a hold of mom and got the money transferred over and we just paid the 186 dollars for the visit and I assumed they would just fix it and I'd be on my way but that wasn't the case, they told me the tooth that I had a root canal on a few years ago was infected pretty bad and that's what caused the crown to come off and they told me the infection was pretty bad and that I had only 2 options, 1. get the root canal redone which would come to a total of 3300 dollars or 2. get the tooth pulled which would cost me about 300 dollars SO I don't really have money for either of those things and I don't really have the time or resources to go to Frankfort but they told me that the infection is bad enough that if I don't do anything I'll wake up one morning with a baseball sized sore on my check and I'll be in a lot of pain haha so needless to say I'm a little stressed and out of ideas so any suggestions? Should I just have my companion yank the tooth with some pliers or what haha I really have no idea what to do! the member that gave us a ride just happened to be a doctor and so he prescribed me a antibacterial drug that he said will fight the infection just temporarily until I can figure out what to do so maybe that will help!

Other than that this week was pretty good haha it has been pretty normal! I dropped off Elder Torrico and picked up my new Peruvian Elder Inga and its been a pretty good week! it feels like years since I've had a new companion so the change is definitely welcomed haha. But I feel like I've made a lot of spiritual growth this week, I decided to focus on Humility and made that the focus of my studies this week and I've realized how prideful I am haha but I've learned so much and really had a lot of humbling experiences and have been trying hard to make being more humble a priority and it has helped so much. The scriptures are full of examples and stories of how important humility is and I am really trying to be a more humble Missionary, and person in general.

I've also had a few really cool experiences with receiving spiritual guidance and knowing what to do in certain situations.  One particular instance involved Michael, we were kinda struggling to know how we could best help him and what he needed so during the week I was praying and studying with him specifically in mind and felt impressed to read a certain chapter of the book of Mormon with him and it went really well. We had kind of a funny experience with the lesson though, we showed up and started the lesson and after a while his aunt came over and saw us and sat down and started listening and later his sister Vivi came in and started reading with us, then eventually two friends knocked on the door and saw we were reading so they came in and sat down and listened, then his mom saw us all sitting in a circle in her living room reading so she came and joined us and sat down so I handed her my book of Mormon and pulled out another one from my bag and as we were reading she was asking us really good questions and making comments and participating in the lesson a lot, and right before we finished reading the chapter she turned the book over and looked at the cover and said to us "wait wait wait, this isn't the Bible!? I don't want to read this if it isn't the bible!" and she closed it and handed it back to me haha so we were so close! she was feeling the spirit and really enjoying it until she actually knew what she was reading haha

But we had another pretty cool experience where the spirit guided us to know what to do, last night we got home from church and we had planned to go try a few people in a certain area but I was really stressed out about my tooth situation and I remember just not being able to feel the spirit at all because I was so preoccupied with what I was thinking about so I decided to just go in my room and say a quick prayer and ask for some help and as I did I felt this really strong impression that we needed to go try and visit this left active lady who lived on the other side of town, so we biked over and knocked her door and no body answered and I felt pretty stupid haha I felt like I was totally inspired to go try that lady but I didn't know why! so I told my companion how I felt and he suggested we saw another prayer, and I felt like why do we need another prayer? I already prayed and felt like we should come here? (There’s my pride again haha) but we said another prayer and both felt like we should go try a particular family and we were able to visit them and get to know them a little more and it was really good and as we were leaving I felt pretty content and felt like we had followed the spirit pretty well but I felt like incomplete almost like I wasn't done yet, so I decided to just say a quick prayer in my head and ask where do we go now? and I just had a thought to go try a guy who was kinda on the way home anyway who used to meet with the missionaries but was almost never home because he works so much, so we said what the heck and we went and tried the guy and when we got there his car wasn't out front and all the lights of his trailer were off so I actually said out loud to my companion "oh he's probably not even here so we don't need to lock the bikes up" haha so we just left the biked on the front porch and knocked his door and waited for a minute and eventually after 2 or 3 knocks he opens the door and invites us in and tells us he was really happy to see us and that he had some questions and didn't really understand the tree of life story in 1st Nephi, so we sat down with him and read the story with him and it went really well! he told us "hey I’m not working tomorrow so can you come over again and read another chapter with me?" haha it was really cool, stuff like that does not happen very often so we are going to go see him again tonight and I'm super excited!

Hope everybody has a great week! love you! READ YOUR SCRIPTURES!


Para siempre Dios esté con vos!




from left to right this is Pili (michaels mom) elder Torrico, Michael, Maybeth (pili's sister) Nico (a member and Michaels cousin) and me



this about sums up how I feel about the dentist situation haha

No comments:

Post a Comment